Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Memories of Darling Ma'am from 2nd std


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJkrA6DtDgQ

Whenever I listen to this Boney M hit I am transported to those days of MI period (Moral Instruction) with Darling Ma'am who taught us this song.. Well.. I never got to know her real name.. we fondly cald her Darling Ma'am.. She was my only motivation to go to school back then... That must have been a landmark achievement for a teacher coz I was one "great" kid who would do anything to not go to school.. ranging from crying my heart out to puking on rickshaw-mates... The day she announecd her retirement was probably my saddest in school memory.. I did not feel a tinge of sadness even during my farewell..

Cut to few years later.. I guess 5 yrs later.. I was casually watching a programme on DD about old age homes and the inmates... There were interviews with the inmates.. The stories were really brutal.. I was so astounded that I did not reach for my remote.. That was when a familiar figure popped in front of the camera.. Yes.. it was Darling Ma'am.. under the segment of educated elders in mudhiyor illam... As everyone, she too started explaining her story.. But, I did not listen to it.. I did not want to know it... My memories of Darling Ma'am were of a bubbly, fresh, rotund female in saree who gave 45 mins of joy and immense hope that nothing could possibly go wrong in my wonderful life (if it was double period then 90 mins)... and not the freakishly thin lady sans her usual smile talking for the first time stuffs that I cud not understand and never want to understand....

1 comment:

Nithya Ravi said...

Really makes one feel heavy at heart :( May be you can support the Illam indirectly and think this as a sambavanai to your aacharyan who motivated you to go to school :)